International Office

Checklist for Getting Started

✔ Check immigration regulations. If necessary, gather all necessary documents, apply for the correct entry clearance or visa to work in the Czech Republic in good time to begin working. The International Staff Office will provide you with the necessary information and/or documents.

✔ Arrange a place to live. Either your University contact will apply for accommodtion at the University facilities or you will be expected to look for a place to stay yourself.

✔ If you are planning to bring your family with you, you need to do a considerable amount of research into issues such as insurance for the whole family, accommodation and other facilities (kindegartens, etc. - for instance: should you need childcare, be sure to apply at least one year in advance). Please bring also the legalised copies of your marriage certificate and of the birth certificate(s) of your child(ren) if applicable: they might be necessary for certain administrative processes. 

✔ Make a folder to bring with you. Include photocopies of your passport, visa, diploma, or any other documents confirming your previous education and experience.

✔ Check your insurance status before you leave. You should consider taking out medical insurance for your journey to the Czech Republic and to cover emergency repatriation to your home country in the event of a serious accident of illness. When employed by the University, international staff members have medical insurance automatically paid by the employer.

✔ Make your travel plans. Arrange travel tickets and travel insurance.

✔ Check your government's regulations on taking money out of the country and on transferring money to the Czech Republic. Obtain the local currency (Czech crowns) for use during the first few days or weeks (train tickets, phone cells etc.).

✔ Check your luggage weight against your airline's allowances. Check the information on weather conditions and what to wear in the northern part of the Czech Republic.

✔ Visit any doctor to obtain a letter of explanation for any prescribed medication you may need to bring with you.

You are also welcome to contact the International Office with additional questions. Please make good use of the information available on the TUL website.

It might be useful to contact these websites too: The Czech Mobility Centre provides assistance and consultancy to foreign researchers before and during their stay in the Czech Republic. The other one is Home in the Czech Republic.