International Office

Getting a Job in the Czech Republic

There are no restrictions for employment of international students coming from the EU/EEA countries. They have the same legal status as citizens of the Czech Republic.  All students are allowed to do temporary work up to 300 hours per a year.

For the students from the non-EU/EEA countries it is necessary to get a work permit. There are some exceptions though:

  • they do not need an employment permit if they pursue activities in the Czech Republic as part of exchange traineeships for students and young graduates from higher education institutions,
  • they do not need an employment permit provided they are students up to the age of 26 and they do not work for more than 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days within a calendar year.

The permit is issued at the local branch of the Labour Office (Úřad práce) - address: Dr. Milady Horákové 580/7, Liberec IV - Perštýn, 460 01 Liberec 1. It is subject to an administrative fee of CZK 500. It is issued for:

  • a definite period of time, the maximum of two years (a foreigner may apply for an employment permit repeatedly);
  • six months in case of seasonal employment; the permit shall be issued for no longer than six months within a calendar year and may also be issued repeatedly provided that a period of at least six months elapses between the individual employments.

Detailed information about the work permit can be found at the website of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.